Monday, May 12, 2014

The story of a yellow butterfly

If you've followed my previous blog, Brown Eyed Bell(e),  you may have read my story of a Yellow Butterfly before. It's a post that is important to me; so I want to share it again, and I figure what better time of the year than the day after Mother's Day. Speaking of, I hope all you mommies out there (biological, adoptive, step, and fur) have had a wonderfully blessed Mother's Day weekend.

***

Have you ever lost someone that you loved dearly, and then found something still here on earth that symbolizes them for you? So that every time you see that something, or hear that something, it takes you back to a time when they were with you?

For me, that is the yellow butterfly.



 Every time I see a yellow butterfly I remember my mommy and I feel like she is right here with me, fluttering by to remind me that though she is not physically with me anymore, she is always with me in spirit.

Sometimes I see a yellow butterfly and I know it's just my mom passing by, other times the yellow butterfly hits me hard and I know its my mom trying to tell me something! My mom passed in August 2001 and ever since then August has never been the same. I tend to get down and out on the anniversary of her death but in 2008 as I was driving (I must add I was actually speeding a bit) to work on that day in August, I actually HIT a HUGE yellow butterfly! I was DEVASTATED. I mean, I hit the butterfly HARD, it was even stuck in my wipers. I couldn't continue on to work with this HUGE yellow butterfly stuck on my windshield, so I pulled over and planned to gently remove it and bury it however I was ASTONISHED to see that when I lifted the wiper to free its wing that was caught, the butterfly started to move again and up in the air it went. I literally started crying right then and there. I know that was my mom stopping by to remind me yet again she is always there, and I also believe she was trying to tell me to slow down and not be so sad on the day of her death.

Since then, I started a tradition where every August me and some of my closest girlfriends go up to Anna Maria Island and stay for the weekend (the weekend that the anniversary falls on) so now, as I know my mom would want it, instead of dreading the day, I look forward to it, as I know I have not only my mother watching down and cheering me on, but the best friends ever that are willing to drop whatever is going on in their lives at that time to be with me in my time of need and keep me laughing and smiling. I truly am blessed.

 
The necklace above is precious to me.  It was found at a farmers market and is perfect as it symbolizes family for me. First of all it is a yellow butterfly which is beyond perfect for my Mom, but, even better is that the body is green which coincidentally is my Dad's favorite color.  I love wearing it because it puts something so symbolic to me so close to my heart. My parents. Whether we are near or far, they are always in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy. I know your mom would just be so proud of you. I think you’re absolutely right about making the anniversary a happier time for yourself. No mother ever wants to see her child hurting so I know you’re doing the right thing. =]

    ReplyDelete