Monday, July 21, 2014

2nd annual BBQ Cookoff

I know I mentioned this briefly last week in my Thankful Thursday post, but, I wanted to give this event the attention it so deserves.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending the 2nd annual BBQ cook-off in memory of JD Clyatt.

You see, in September of 2012, one of my best friends lost her fiance and father of her beautiful daughter in a tragic car accident at the hands of a young lady that made a reckless decision to drink and drive one Labor day weekend.

Lives were forever changed that day but, his family has made it a point to try to have at least two gatherings once a year in memory of JD. We do one every July around the time of his birthday to celebrate his life, and the many lives he touched during life. It always brings a smile to my face to see the eclectic group that we are gather together in honor of him. You see people of all different races, ages, & background celebrating one common denominator, JD.

This past event was no different. I think we actually had a bigger showing than the 1st event. We had good food, drinks, a water slide, a live band, and an awesome game of kickball to keep everyone involved.





The picture below had a funny story behind it. It was a blooper because the minute I saw it I told my friend that for whatever reason, the way he was leaning, his arm, and his facial expression made me feel like he was about to go all Walking Dead on us. Zombie mode. I don't know what it is, but we all agreed, and did a re-take.


The most important thing in life is family. There are days you love them, and others you do not. But, in the end, they are the people you always come home to. Sometimes it's the family you are born into, and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself. 

 ^^ These are the two beautiful children JD left behind <3

^^ 2013 top, 2014 bottom.

Thank you JD, for making us a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment