Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wednesday Weekend Recap

One of my best friends came into town last week for a vacation and she stayed with me. It was a week full of shenanigans as you can imagine. You know how it goes when you get your closest girlfriends together, especially when you haven't seen them in awhile. Her trip was semi vacation/semi taking care of business as she is looking to possibly move back to Florida to finish college. She actually lived down here before while she was in college but that came to a screeching halt when she was diagnosed with APL Leukemia in 2007. Thankfully, God is good and she has been in remission since 2009.

Anyways, she flew in Thursday evening around 8pm. And that ended up being a fiasco as a friend of mine was working on my car and it was supposed to be good to go for me... Well, as he drove it to my work, the part failed and it was leaking coolant again. Now, I count my blessings that it failed on him and not me when I was on the interstate. It still left me in a predicament though as I was stuck at work with no ride and T was stuck at the airport with no ride. I didn't want to stress her out so I told her I was running late due to work (which was partially true, hectic night at work) and I worked to solve our issue. I have the best friends in the world and a friend of mine let me borrow her Yaris not only to pick up T from the airport but all day Friday as well, all I had to do was wake up early enough to take her daughter to daycare and her to work. This helped SO much. T & I were able to grab a rental Friday afternoon and we were good to go transportation wise.

We got SO much done in a short 5 days, 6 nights. I have been clean eating 5 days a week since June but I knew this week would be lots of cheating as she had many favorites that we needed to visit that she can't get in Virginia. We started off Thursday night with a bestie night in topped off with horrible food and a great chick flick. We got Hungry Howies subs and I made a pinterest recipe, smores rolled up pizza, which was amazing and we watched The Other Woman and laughed until we cried.

Friday we got right to business with taking care of her to-do list while in town. It was an early morning since we had to drop my friend off at work. We then ventured out to Lake H which is a popular workout spot so we could take a 3 mile stroll while enjoying the great outdoors. We followed that with breakfast at Fat Jacks, her all time favorite and a must visit every time shes in Florida. You can get 3 eggs, hash browns, grits OR home fries and toast for $2.99. You can't beat that! After that we headed to the local DMV so she could try to renew her expired Florida DL. I was expecting a hassle, but, we breezed through! She took that as a sign from God! We made a quick stop at Parkesdale Farms for some produce and dessert. She was in awe that I've lived here my entire life and never been. And boy was I missing out. Their strawberry milkshake was top notch. No wonder it has been voted best drinkable dessert by food network. Friday night we had a girls night out at a local hidden gem that plays live music in a great outdoor environment. This was a perfect evening with the bestest of friends, good craft beer, variety of food and a relaxing live band!


 Saturday we intended to wake up early and head to one of my favorite places, Anna Maria Island, but, we slept in. We finally headed that way around 11am and met up with a friend for lunch at Lobstahs which is a local favorite. We spent the rest of the afternoon soaking up the sun. It was a perfect Florida beach day! We ended our Saturday by cooking in, shrimp, grilled onions, corn on the cob & cilantro rice.

 ^^ do not judge my corn. I like it Mexican style ;)

Sunday was a fairly laid back day. We went to breakfast with friends at another local gem, The Ribhouse, and then met up with more friends for Church (which might I add, the praise was awesome and the word was amazing!). We hosted a little cookout by the pool at my house after church to give anyone who hadn't met up with T over the weekend a chance to swing by while she was in town. I missed the gym Friday and Saturday so was grateful to have time for a run on Sunday night.



Monday we headed out to the Webster Flea Market which is only open on Mondays oddly enough. We went out there with a purpose and our mission was accomplished. The rest of Monday was back to reality for me. I had to return to work after a wonderful 3 day weekend, and T had appointments at local universities on Monday and Tuesday while I was working. Tuesday was also pretty chill. I hit the gym in the morning and then bam it was time for work as I went in early so T could make an early appointment. We had a quick lunch date at Panera and a local cupcake bakery before I jetted off to work.

^^ look at this cutie I found at the flea market! He just wanted some kisses!
 
^^ I got a reeses cupcake and T got a mini creme brulee


We definitely did not accomplish everything that she wanted to do while she was in town, but, we knocked out a big chunk. The most important part was of course getting answers about finishing her degree, which she got taken care of, so I would consider this a successful trip for her. She wanted to end out her vacation by going to her favorite spot, so we grabbed breakfast at Fat Jacks on the way to the airport.

When I say I am blessed in the friends department, I am not lying. I am so thankful for each and every single one of my friends. They truly are my family.

<3 you T, thanks for spending the week with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment